Saturday, May 1, 2010

ला विदा एस उन हेर्मोसा sueñअ एन रेअलिदाद

Hello to all and Happy May Day! I´m nostalgic for my childhood in Hawaií where each grade of school would get decked out in plumerias and mumús and dance hula for their parents and teachers. It was a very fond tradition. Here in Argentina, and the whole of South America I believe, today is Labor Day. Yes, it is fall (otoño) here and I am lucky enough to have just arrived in beautiful Mendoza. This last week has been a good one in Buenos Aires. I´ve been volunteering in an International school next to the Rio de Plata(the main river next to BA). It is a beautiful school and I actually came to know it through my friend Barbara from UCI´s cousin Shari. She is a proper English teacher at the school and has given me the opportunity to continue my studies and work with her. It has been lovely to be back in the school system. I almost forgot how much I missed teaching until I got back. When I get back this next week I´ll have a chance to sit in on all sorts of IB classes including Spanish culture and language. I am very excited to learn more about the differences between the American school system and the Argentine one. Of course, being an international school the similarities are more since 1/3 of the student population is from the US. The teachers and faculty are all very open and positive people so it´s exciting to be involved with this school.

Natasha has gone home to the states and Anna has gone home to Austria. So, Noel and I are left. Noel and I went to our first tango dancing lessons the other day and had a blast. I´m finally starting to get the whole being lead thing. It´s hard to let go and let the man take charge sometimes but I´m trying and feel like I´m starting to get it. Afterwards we went to a glorious buffet across from the hostel which included parrilla, ciao mein and all other sorts of Argentinian fare.

Last night I left for a 14 hour bus ride to Mendoza to visit my friend Oliver who I met in Copacabana (The Bolivian side of Lake Titicaca). I am here now and it is definitely fall. The leaves are changing and everything is very beautiful. It reminds me of California. Tomorrow I believe, we´ll do a bike tour of the wine country. Today is muy tranquilo because everything is closed due to dia de los trabajadores (Labor day). Tomorrow should be a bit more lively. I´ll report back as the calidad (quality) of Mendoza´s syrahs. I´m sure they´re fantastic. My flight home is May 15th, then I´ll be graduating from the credential program on June 2nd and starting the Masters program the following week. I´m excited for all that´s to come but after all there are two full weeks to explore, teach and live la vida sud americana. I think the trip was well worth it because 3 people (fluent Spanish speakers mind you) have said that I am indeed fluent in Spanish. This will serve me well as my Masters of Teaching emphasis will be in español! Que linda. Miss you all and can´t wait to see you upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment